20 May 2012

Go fresh.

Hola amigos :) Summer is so nearly here, yet I am still waiting for the Sun to make an appearance in York. Come on, I miss your big yellow face! I have still been enjoying my newly acquired time off despite the typical English weather; I need to make the most of it before I spend another week at Carlton Lodge Outdoor Centre for placement. I have been loving the bike path I found, York is super bike friendly so I can nip to the shops if I've run out of anything instead of the usual fifteen minute walk. I can also use the path next year as it runs right behind my new house :) hopefully my new bike will look a little like the one below, baskets galore!!!


The one thing I actually despise about the last week of the semester is the fact I have NO good food left. I find myself making really weird meals; I had a whole tin of beans with bacon for tea the other night... come on now, what is THAT? After much deliberation about how I would make meals out of what I have left in the cupboard I worked out the least amount of stuff I needed to buy to make actual substantial meals. This meant I could afford to buy a few extra bits so I could try out some recipes :)

Innocent's Beetroot and Chocolate Brownies

These should come with a 'pink hand alert' as when I'd finished boiling and peeling the beetroot (wearing rubber gloves of course) I looked like something off the True Blood title sequence. Some people may be thinking 'eeeurgh why would you ever put beetroot in a cake?' Well my dear, because they taste awesome! The beetroot makes the brownies sooo moist that they melt in your mouth when you eat them. I was a bit scared when it was wibble-wobbling at me as I got it out the oven but they really do taste amazing.

If you fancy giving the beetroot a whirl in your brownies, there is a similar recipe on the BBC good food website here :) the only differences are that they use a LOT more beetroot (I only used one beet!) and that they included flour instead of the ground almonds suggested in the innocent recipe.


Incredible Egg - Egg Frittata Muffins

I hadn't planned on making these but I was perusing pinterest while I was waiting for my brownies to set (back when I thought that could happen) I saw this yummy looking recipe and decided to whip some up for dinner. They are basically scrambled egg in a muffin shape :) but you can chuck in whatever you want; I used peppers but you can have courgette, bacon, onions, sausage, broccoli, whatever! I had to guesstimate the measurements as I was only making two but they are sooooo easy to make that they turned out okay.


Sainsburys Red Lentil Curry

When I used to shop at sainsburys, waaaay back in first year (so old now :'( waaa) I used to pick up some of the little recipe cards. You know those 'feed your family for a fiver' ones? Yeah well, they used to catch my eye and then end up at the bottom on my very disorganised utensils drawer. I spotted this one on Friday when I was sprucing up my cupboard and wanted to give it a try! It was delicious :) lovely and tomatoey with just the right amound of spice! The recipe makes enough for three or four people so obviously I had a lot left over to freeze too :)



I have been storing recipe ideas on my pinterest so look out for more of my culinary expertise over the Summer :P also....

HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY TO JAMES!!!
Sorry that I can't be there to celebrate it with you <3


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for getting in touch :)