5 May 2013

Geeky and girly? Good golly.

Most people know by now that I have a good ol' mix of interests, some normal and some that are maybe a bit more weird! I've just figured out that I'm pretty rubbish at being anything other myself since coming to Uni and embracing all my quirks.. thankfully there are people out there that love this oddball :) Even if one of those people described me as 'hippy-dippy and airy-fairy' this week hahaha. I don't see the point in being anything less than the perfectly amazing people that we all are, follow your interests and dreams no matter how silly they seem...yes is more!!

Yesterday I had a little bit of a 'me day' because we all need to switch off from everything else sometimes. I've spent all week doing assignments, applying for jobs and still going to lectures in between so it's getting a little bit boring now. So, Saturday was 'escape into the loopy land of Jenny' day and here is what I did...

York Castle Museum
You might remember waaaaaaay back in March I did my Military Studio and object handling training? Well this week I spent a few hours talking to people about loads of helmets, including some ACTUAL historic-artefacty ones which was pretty cool. We had three British helmets to handle from the Falklands, WW1 and the Civil War. The black one at the back is the Civil War helmet which is 500 years old!! We get such a range of people coming in, there's all ages and backgrounds. Some people are so interested in the objects and their enthusiasm definitely puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day :) I'm going to ask around and try and get involved with school trips once we have finished Uni.. so exciting!




 Shopping Treats
My birthday was five months ago now and I STILL haven't spent that much of my money. I've bought a few bits from Pandora that I can keep and remind me of my 21st (this ring & this charm) but the rest of the money has been sat in my savings account patiently. I have been eyeing up the LUSH massage bars for a while now... not for massages but for moisturising. I did my research and watched a few reviews on Youtube but I still wasn't really sure what they were all about. 

If you have never been to LUSH you have to go next time you go shopping! I've had a few bits and pieces from there over the years and I have been really impressed. They are really into fresh and organic ingredients to make their products, support charities, are against animal testing and actively campaign about what they believe in. There is a video on their website that I have pinched and posted below for anyone who is really interested in the work they do.


Anyway, back to my point! I still had all this birthday money sat around so I decided it was about time I bought myself a few treats. I went into the York shop and spoke to the nicest girl EVER about what kind of thing I was looking for. I opted firstly for the Each Peach massage bar which smells delicious! These come in a block and are designed to melt like chocolate when it touches your skin. I'll be using mine to get my skin all gorgeous and sunshine ready :) I also bought the Aqua Mirabilis body scrub. This is also a block but you use it in the shower. It exfoliates but also leaves a moisturising layer on your skin so you are left silky smooth, awesome stuff! 

It is also about time I bought myself some new shoes really. I have been wearing my beige ballet pumps for months because they just go with everything! All the shops now have most of their Spring/Summer stock in now which always excites me :) I managed to get myself two lovely pairs of shoes from New Look, one of them being the pair below. I normally go for brown accessories rather than black and I just loved the bright stitching detail.

Munchies
After my super long morning of geeking out and shopping I wanted to go for lunch at Goji Cafe & Deli. I have been waiting to here since I first came to Uni and I just never got round to it. Unfortunately yesterday was not my lucky day because it was so busy! I managed to get a good gander at the menu though and still got myself a yummy Manic Organic pear and ginger juice. Plus when I got home I suddenly became a culinary genius and made myself paprika sweet potato fries with home-made guacamole.




Then last night my friend invited a few of the Uni girls around to demolish her massive Thornton's chocolate cake while we watched Britain's got Talent and the Voice. I say watched... probably should say talked over! So now I'm super fresh for my shift at Oxfam today :) saving the world instead of doing assignments ;) haha

What do you guys do when you escape to the land inside your own head?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for getting in touch :)