4 January 2014

The story of a broken waffle.

Hello 2014! Oh and it's Sunday ;) back into the usual routine at last now that I've calmed down from the holiday madness. I was meaning to blog a little earlier than this, however there was no internet at Ryan's Mum's house (which is where I have been all week). I had a lovely time spending New Year in Essex. We visited London but chickened out of staying for the fireworks because the last train home would have been a massive rush.... I'd much rather be snuggled up in my pyjamas on New Years too! New years day was spent orienteering in a LOT of mud :) as well as watching Harry Potter, my favourite!!

While at Ryan's, we watched Jamie Oliver's festive feast program. I was practically drooling everywhere at everything he made, especially his waffle with maple syrup and home-made hot chocolate. Back in Harrogate a few days later, and the recipe was on his website. So I thought I'd give it a go :)

This is how yummy they are supposed to look...


à la Jenny

It all started off very promising. I gently heated some milk while I made the hot chocolate mix; I even enjoyed getting mucky fingers while grating the mountain of chocolate. While that was simmering nicely, I got to work on the waffle mix which was really quite simple! 

With the griddle pan heated and butter melted, it was ready to go. The mixture poured in and spread out delightfully and it all looked very promising. You have to wait ten minutes to cook one side which is rubbish for someone as impatient as me. I was clearly messing with it, caught on camera...

I am also wearing my Sitka cardigan that I ordered from the Surfdome sale.

Ten minutes down the line, it was starting to smell cooked underneath but it was still as gooey as ever on the top. It was definitely a 'to flip, or not to flip?' moment. I opted for flipping and my waffle went quickly from this...











...to this!

Not the best start to my culinary year! After trying to salvage the waffle with some maple syrup, poor Ryan suffered through a few stodgy mouthfuls. At least the hot chocolate was yummy. After going back on Jamie's recipe I realised there are a LOT of comments at the bottom from other people who have tried. I wasn't the only one who ended up in this predicament and it seems the baking powder is to blame! Maybe there is hope for my baking skills yet :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for getting in touch :)