16 June 2013

Things I owe to Geoff

Now that I'm a lady of leisure, in-between Uni and starting work, I really don't have that many exciting things to blog about! (even though it's late today, oops!) So in the spirit of Father's day I thought I'd dedicate this post to my Padre. Me and Nikki always joke about how he 'damaged' us as children and that's why we are both a bit nutty now!

First of all, you might be wondering why I call him Padre instead of the standard Dad. Well, when you are trying to get his attention when there is a crossword being completed or BBC News 24 is on, you have NO CHANCE. Dad... dad... dad... dad... dad.... dad... dad... does not work. So we got creative and started shouting out different names in hope of a response :P


So Padre, what have you done to your poor children??

Song for everything
It is a firm belief in the Davison household that there is a song for every situation. We have challenged this many times but Dad always manages to best us; I love Kitchen Roll (I love Rock and Roll) being one of his worst.

For years and years me and Nikki thought that Wham sang 'Pick me up before you go go' because that's what got sang to us when we wanted picking up for a hug. Quite a shocking revelation when we got Sing Star for PS2 and sang the wrong words.

I can't watch The Snowman at Christmas and take it seriously any more. Another one of the infamous word change songs that was sang at bedtime. Feel free to try singing this in your highest voice, to the tune of 'we're walking in the air'....

Go and brush your teeeeeeeeeeeeeth...
Go and brush the teeth in your goooooooooooob...


Outdoorsy types
This is actually a nice one and down to both parents really.... don't get me started on your 'off the beaten track' Mother! We have always been encouraged to be outside, walking and visiting places are pretty much a necessity for a Davison weekend or holiday. The Dad mental-ness comes into this when we decide to hang off trees like monkeys, pretend to have wand battles, lean over battlements and maybe sing a little bit of Wuthering Heights.
 

Silly TV quotes
I distinctly remember watching, but not really understanding, TV programmes with my parents. The more memorable being Dad's Army, Blackadder, Ground Force, Top of the Pops, Blind Date, Time Team, and 'Allo 'Allo! However, watching Blackadder with Dad is definitely where my skills in remembering useless TV quotes began...
Hag: Two things, my lord, must ye know of the wise woman. First, she is a woman. And second, she is... 
Edmund: Wise? 
Hag: You know her, then?

and then there is just stuff like this that Dad is also to blame for....

 

Accent Skills
One thing that Dad is really good at is accents and he always says I'm rubbish at them. But years of watching Eurovision and imitating the poor folks from Bosnia Herzegovina and three years of living in Yorkshire has really improved my accents. I swear he will always tell me I'm rubbish just because he doesn't want to admit that I'm actually pretty good! My Scottish imitation of Donna from IG Property is WAY better than his :)


Red Wine
Dad likes to drink red wine. I like to drink red wine. It is my favourite of all the wines. I'm not sure if your taste in alcohol is hereditary but I like to think it is (I also acquired a taste for Strongbow and Malibu thanks to my Mother). Unlike his student daughters, Dad doesn't fare too well with his pints. There is a lovely little story where a slightly tipsy Dad told me and Nikki that Gargamel and Azrael (the old geezer & cat from the smurfs) somehow make Galadriel. Dads be crazy.


Musical Diet
Amidst Mum's Shania, Abba and Cher we also got bought up listening to a mix of Queen and Classical Music. There has often been a Davison car sing-slong to Bohemian Rhapsody which provokes excessive head bobbing from Dad. The most recent musical inheritance is this little gem...


'Spontaneous' Photos
You won't find many smiley family photos in the Davison family album. Dad often insists on spontaneous photos, even though he still pulls out the same Christmas day pose EVERY YEAR. I blame this for my skills in ruining photos with my face. It does make looking back at photos a hilarious event but photo ruining has become a very bad habit that is definitely weaved into most my Uni memories, thanks Dad!


General Insanity
So we definitely get our CEEEEEERAZAAAAAAAY partly mostly from our good ol' Padre. I might joke about being a damaged child but then I probably wouldn't be the mental friend you know and love me as haha.  You know I'm totally hilarious really! 

Like Father like daughter...




Happy Father's day Padre!





<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for getting in touch :)