27 January 2013

Being Superwoman

I am really fed up of thinking that because I'm on placement, my life is oveeeer. What will happen when I work full time as a teacher in just a couple of months?? I am dedicated to the job but I don't want to be one of those women that get consumed by work and forget about actually living. This week alone I've been told by two people to just stop; even after hours of placement I am still restless and want to do something. Sitting in the staff room this year, I always overhear little snippets about the other teacher's personal lives; the other year 1/2 teacher managed to fit in a two hour walk over the moors as well as planning, all before bedtime. I want that to be me!! 


How I proved to myself that I'm super too..

Teaching
This week we were supposed to have some 'whole class responsibility' but instead I taught all Thursday afternoon and then did phonics and literacy on Friday morning. Above and beyond me ;) I am actually finding key stage 1 lessons a lot easier to plan for because they don't do as much but I am still not used to it at all! Letters and Sounds is all foreign to me so thank God for Mr Thorne's phonics videos :) Sammy did look a bit concerned about the 'ur' sounds coming from my laptop. The TES iboard had this fab interactive book that I used to teach traditional/fairy tales. Just because you use resources and ideas to help you out, it doesn't make you any less of a fab teacher... why re-shape the wheel?!



Food
I bought myself a meal planner from paperchase (featured on my blog 2 weeks ago) and I was worried I wouldn't use it. Quite the contrary, it has been so helpful to sit and think of five yummy lunches on the weekend and buy in what I need for the week. Then on the evenings all I have to do is prepare it and there's no over thinking :) It's good to have really healthy lunches and try and get as many as your five a day while you are at school because then you can have your treats at home. I know this lunchbox has a muffin in but who is judging eh? ;)



Housey chores
I am soooo skilled at creating piles of plates and other crockery so that it takes up the least amount of space on my side. There is still space to prepare stuff as well as putting off my washing up for another day. I have been trying to keep on top of it though so I'm not faced with the usual mountain of washing up when all I want to do is slob. As well as washing up, I've been washing my clothes really regularly too, then I never have to panic about not having a teachery type outfit ready.



Me time
This week was lovely because I was actually back in Uni Monday-Wednesday for a few lectures. I had time for shopping, Starbucks, meals out and cinema trips. I know I won't be able to do much on the evenings but I will most definitely be planning time out on the weekend for me to just chill out. I didn't do any planning yesterday at all so I will have to do a few hours today, but it was totally worth it.


CV enhancing
Now that I've done four months at Oxfam, it was sadly time to leave so that I'd have some free time on the weekend. I am still attached to the York Castle Museum because I'm still in the training process. I did a shift before Christmas making Victorian Christmas cards with the education team but I had to wait until yesterday to do my object handling training. I spent an hour picking up fancy bear fur helmets, heavy body armour and a few brass candlesticks. My next training session isn't until March 16th but after that I will be fully trained to run a military session :) I will be in charge of some pretty impressive weaponry. My future history lessons will  clearly be awesome!



Being a proper yogi
I am very aware that I am eating more now that I'm on placement, which is totally fine BUT my exercise levels have dropped. I don't power walk everyday like I usually do; instead I drive too and from placement and that's about it. Usually I spent my whole day walking to and from everywhere and I might have a bike ride to the shops when it's warmer. The belly podge is starting to appear and the bottom is maybe more wobbly than it should be...  so, action plan! I popped into TkMaxx on my way back from town yesterday and they have loads of good sports gear for quite cheap; weights, exercise balls, yoga mats, clothes & loads more. Leah has moved her xbox into the living room so I have lots of yoga videos at my fingertips through Youtube. I'm thinking of doing 10 mins a day to relax and then 20-30 minutes on Saturday and Sunday to keep fit :) There is a great 'Yoga Solution' series from LiveStrong Women which ranges from beginner right through to some scary looking headstands. 





Phew, I will have to read this back one day when I start to doubt myself! Now I think I qualify for a t-shirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for getting in touch :)