3 September 2012

Being a 20 year old woman in 2012.

Most of you were probably expecting my post-Scotland musings to be all about the jolly times I had hopping  back and forth over the borders, visiting many an interesting place. I just don't want to do that, sorry! For those of you who are my 'friend' on Facebook, you can always peruse through my many photos that I uploaded for stalking pleasure.

Instead I want to talk about some women who have taught me some things about life lately. I had read about Caitlin Moran's 'How to be a Woman' on a few different blogs and the girls were raving about it! I wasn't really sure to start with because I like to think I have modern feminist beliefs; Moran seemed a little hardcore for me! When she popped up again in the Glamour magazine's Women of the Year Awards and I found out that she grew up in Wolverhampton and then escaped (my lifelong dream) I just HAD to download her book and see what all the hoo-ha was about. 
"There’s never been a better time to be a woman: we have the vote and the Pill, and we haven’t been burnt as witches since 1727. However, a few nagging questions do remain…Why are we supposed to get Brazilians? Should you get Botox? Do men secretly hate us? What should you call your vagina? Why does your bra hurt? And why does everyone ask you when you’re going to have a baby?"

I am so glad that I finally picked it up and gave it the time of day; Moran's writing offers a no-holds-barred approach to going through adolescence and womanhood. Even though I don't agree with everything she has to say, there is plenty of recognisable material that had me addicted! Moran's witty wisdom, cheery common sense and relate-able self-deprecation makes this a must read for every Woman. I am already waiting for her second book 'Moranthology' which is out on 13th September. You can pre-order for £9.91 on Amazon Kindle just like meeeeee :)


If that isn't enough guidance to being a modern day woman or you need something a bit more precise than just keep reading! I bought More magazine whilst having a gander through ASDA today for a little afternoon reading. Who knew I would stumble across the awesome tumblr blog which iiiiiis...  F**k I'm in my 20's. Emma Koenig is a blogger from New York who brings the drama of being a 20 something student/graduate to life with funny doodles. It's just so fantastically good that they have even made her ideas into a book that was out on 1st September and you can get it on one of those kindle things I always bang on about for £5.19 heeeeeere. If you're feeling a bit poor you can always just check out the original blog like I did and find funny stuff like this...


....Fifty Shades of what now???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for getting in touch :)