16 February 2012

This could be paradise.

As much as I'd like to get my brain into my usual blog writing zone, I'm finding it utterly impossible to choose a topic. I have so many happy thoughts floating around in there so I thought I'd share what's been making me smile instead...

One - Valentines cupcakes

For Valentines day I made a deal with James to give home made goodies to each other. Despite the fact he didn't hold up his end of the deal (he took me out for a fabulous meal and a film instead so I let him off :P) I still loved making these valentines cupcakes for him! My house mate Sam let me borrow her cupcake recipe book and off I went in search of the most romantic cakes I could find. I did have to tweak the recipe slightly and you can find my amended version below.

Here is my finished creation, they looked good and tasted even better!


Ingredients for the cake:
80g (2.8oz) butter
1/2 cup of caster sugar
1 egg
1 cup of self raising flour
1/3 cup of milk
1/2 teaspoon strawberry favouring (originally vanilla)
1/4 cup of white chocolate chips (originally milk chocolate)
Ingredients for the topping:
80g (2.8oz) butter
1 cup of icing sugar
1 tablespoon of cocoa (I added more and more until I liked the chocolatey taste)
Haribo sweets to decorate (originally fresh strawberrys)

1. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. Line a cupcake pan with 12 cupcake papers (24 mini ones). 
3. In a medium sized bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fuffy. Add the egg and mix well.
4. Add the flour, milk and flavouring and beat until well combined.
5. Fold through the chocolate chips.
6. It's time to cook so you have time to wash up heehee!
7. Mix together the butter, icing sugar and cocoa until combined well. (This is where I slowly added more cocoa until I liked the taste)
8. Use a spoon to put a decent dollop on each cake. (Use a piping bag if you're a super keen chef!)
9. Decorate with yummy sweets and you are done!


Two - Spring is near
I am so excited for the weather to warm up! I love snow as much as the next person but I like being able to go outside and run free without the fear of Bambi moments. I wanted to go on a boat ride while I was in Southampton visiting James this week but I decided it was still too cold :( so instead I am planning on having a bike ride this weekend even if it rains :)

Cue a dorky picture of me enjoying the outdoors haha! Also a funny picture for those who didn't know me with blonde hair.



Three - Getting my snozzle stuck in a book
I finally finished the first book I have been reading on my kindle! WAHOOOO! Sanctus by Simon Toyne was possibly THE longest book I could have chosen to read, I reckon it could give War and Peace a run for it's money. I blogged about this book a couple of weeks ago as it has been keeping me company on the bus to and from placement and it had me baffled! I managed to get to the end of the 184 chapter book while I was on my five hour train to Southampton and I didn't want to put it down once, such a good twist at the end! I have already pre-ordered his sequel The Key which is out on April 12th; just in time for some Easter relaxation.


Four - actually re-living a movie moment
Now this one is taking be back aaaaall the way to last wednesday which is a feat for my memory! I'm guessing loads of you have seen the film Valentines day? Well I decided to re-create the moment when Jennifer Garner's character teaches her class about St Valentine... aaaaaawh! My year three class are currently learning about the Romans which links in perfectly with Emporer Claudius and the story of St Valentine. They absolutely loved it and a few of them even made valentines to take home for their families :)




Now in the spirit of all the Valentines celebrations (even if I am a little late) I leave you with a Beatles classic...

All you need is love :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for getting in touch :)