19 October 2014

On wednesdays we wear pink.

This week I really want to talk about friendships. I've just moved to Cornwall which is miles away from any of my friends and I've been thinking about how it becomes more difficult to make friends as an adult. The concept of friendships was so much simpler when I was at school and University where you are thrust into a world of people that are a similar age and experiencing the same things as you. From playing with the same toys to choosing the same A-levels or complaining about marking books every evening, there has always been a group of peers to relate to.

Image from weheartit 

I've grown up in a world where girls are supposed to have a 'BFF' for life but I've never fit into that mould. For me, high school was a blur of making friends, falling out with friends, having really fake friends, battling with bully ex-friends and flitting from one group to another. By the time I got to University I realised that it is okay to be part of lots of groups and that actually, one person isn't going to be your mirror image and won't want to do all the things you want to do. Also, just because someone likes the same things as you, doesn't mean you will get along. What I have learned is that, as an adult, I require a handful of true friendships, not necessarily a best friend to do everything with. I lost a lot of friends as I got older because you grow apart as you began to have different experiences and understand yourself a lot better.

Image from Pinterest

There are those friends however that I do have a connection with and no matter what happens they remain in my heart. It's been said that everlasting friends can go ages without speaking and never question their friendship. These friends know that regardless of how long it has been or how far away they live, that you will talk as if you saw each other yesterday. These friends understand that life can get crazy and busy sometimes and they know that you will always love them.

 
Image from Pinterest

Now that I've decided to make another big life change and move to Cornwall, I'm going through the whole making new friends all over again. Everyone at work has been lovely and Ryan has already learned lots of their names from my many work stories. We'll have to wait and see how those friendships develop in the future! On Tuesday I'm going to my first yoga class at  Mind, Body and Soul Yoga; I'm both excited and a little nervous. Maybe I'll make a couple of Cornish yogi friends in the process... fingers crossed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for getting in touch :)