13 September 2014

Choosing happy

Back in July I made the difficult decision not to apply for teaching jobs for this September. After three years studying for my Primary Education degree and completing my NQT year I wasn't sure I'd chosen the right path for me. Strangely it didn't feel like a waste of time as I learned a LOT in the past four years but I had no idea what I wanted to do next. All I knew is that I wanted to do what makes me happy :) I decided to stop applying for jobs I wasn't interested in and instead search for something I'd love...

Images found on Pinterest.

Me and Ryan had intended to move to France together so I'd spent the Summer looking at potential properties and studying for a TEFL qualification so I could teach over there. However, September rolls around, I don't want to move to France, I am still living in a friend's spare room and I am jobless. Honestly I did feel like a bit of a failure, especially when friends were going back to their schools and getting excited about their new classes, but I was determined not to give up!


Despite having no job and no concrete plans, we spent the first week of September in Cornwall because we were still on the hunt for somewhere new to live. Our trip also had a secret agenda which was really hard to keep quiet! I'd been invited to an interview at the Eden Project for an Education Assistant job which was SO COOL AND EXCITING! It felt like fate that I'd found an education job in Cornwall, let alone somewhere as awesome as Eden. People who know me well will know how perfect this opportunity was for me.


After months of feeling like my teaching skills aren't good enough, worrying that I'd chosen the wrong path and crying on Ryan's shoulder far too many times, my week in Cornwall really renewed my confidence. I got the news that I passed my TEFL course with an amazing score whilst wandering around Newquay and the team at Eden were incredibly complimentary of my experiences and skills during my interview. My voluntary work at Oxfam and York Castle Museum didn't go amiss!

 
Images found on Pinterest.

Fast forward to me sat in my room in York, eagerly watching my phone for hours on end; I finally get the call to say I didn't get the Education Assistant job. Instead they want to offer me a flexible Education Officer role because they really liked me and want my teaching skills on their team. You can find out more about the awesome role here - Education Officer Career Profile. I'm so excited to teach about stuff I am actually passionate about in the beautiful biomes amongst the plants. I'm also hoping that David Attenborough or Bear Grylls pop along again sometime soon ;)

The Core (Where I will work!) Image Source

So now I have an amazing job, my confidence is sky high and I'm moving to Cornwall with Ryan.

Choosing happy = A success!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for getting in touch :)