23 February 2014

Holiday blues.

It is the last day of a fabulous and relaxing half term break so naturally I am feeling a little glum. I can't say I'm excited to get back into early starts and long hours of work after having a week of doing my own thing. I know that once I step one foot back into my classroom I will be raring to go, especially as our topic this half term is chocolate!

After a tough final week of last half term, with parents evenings and discos, I packed my bags and set off on a mini-adventure with Ryan. We had decided very last minute to book a long weekend in a yurt in Devon, stopping in Wolverhampton on the way down to see some of my family. The cosy yurt, complete with log burner and hot tub, was just what I needed to chill out!

Photos by @rsb90


Photos from Canopy and Stars.

Even though the weather wasn't the best on Monday (I'm sure you've all heard of the floods!) there was still plenty to do. Yvette, the lady who owns the yurt is a local artist so she provided quality art supplies for visitors to use. I enjoyed dabbling in some watercolour painting after breakfast while we waited for the rain to die down a little. I was quite impressed with my picture too...

As I am contemplating moving down to Devon with Ryan, after I have completed my NQT year, he thought it would be good to go on a mini-roadtrip and look at prospective towns to live in. We ended the day with a few hours at the beach in Cornwall, stuffing our pockets full of smooth pebbles for painting. I do love the beach so fingers crossed this time next year I could be living a little closer.



My painted pebbles ready to bring home...

Tuesday was far sunnier and warmer so we decided to explore different parts of Dartmoor. We were staying in Okehampton which is on the north border of Dartmoor so there was no excuse not to! We started at a National Trust property called Parke which had plenty of walks along the river, orienteering trails and geocaching. We managed to find a couple of caches and log them on my app, it was tricky at times because there were so many people enjoying the nice weather.


We waved goodbye to the yurt and Devon on Wednesday morning to return to Harrogate. I managed to have a really productive day on work on Thursday which was good because I was hosting a small reunion for some of my friends from University. As we are all teachers, half term is the perfect time to get together and have a massive catch up. We had news of buying houses, new boyfriends, valentines stories and even new baby lambs! I was adamant to be a good hostess so the weekend consisted of afternoon tea, homemade thai turkey burgers, sausage sarnies and plenty of cosy blankets! 


The evening soon escalated to a full on granny/girly event with matching pyjamas, a tear-inducing move marathon, board games and plenty of cups of tea. We even managed to squash in some shopping, starbucks, lunches and geocaching. The next meet-up hasn't been decided yet but there was talk of a spa weekend that sounds ever so fancy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for getting in touch :)