15 September 2013

Life outside the classroom.

At University my lecturers would always go on about how important it was to keep a 'work-life' balance as a teacher. As a fresher I obviously sat in lectures thinking, well I've been out three times this week and still managed to be here today, how hard can it be? Three years of teaching placement later and now living life as an  actual teacher, I finally understand what they were on about. When you have had a long day, the last thing you want to do is sit in the classroom and get things sorted for the next. However I always feel worse when I take massive bags of work home and I know I'd rather be doing other things. I am trying so hard to keep my work at school on most nights so that I can spend my evenings and most of the weekend relaxing. That is what they are for right?!

I haven't done much on the evenings this week apart from put my feet up and get some well deserved R&R. Monday night I did actually go to Slug and Lettuce in York with Ryan. As students we used to go most Mondays to make the most of their 50% off so it was really strange but nice to be back! My weekend also started off well, Friday night wine and film with Tom and Amy and then Saturday morning bliss...

I was up about about at 7am, thanks a lot body clock, so I thought I'd have an easy morning reading magazines and drinking tea. Ryan bought this magazine called The Simple Things last week and I've been pestering him to borrow it. It's a mix of foody stuff, interior design, gardening, travel and crafty things. I really enjoyed reading it, there are some interesting articles and lovely pictures! One article I particularly liked was about Masala Chai which is apparently good if you are a tea and coffee lover with it's mixed spice flavour. I really want to try some so I will probably spend some time in the supermarket tea aisle soon.


I also liked reading about the Moroccan feast, camping escapes and bike rides. The October issue is out on September 17th so I might have to convince Ryan to buy that one too. So that I can borrow it of course!


After a nice chilled day at home yesterday, doing a little bit of work too, today I am going to the vintage fair in York with Ryan. I am really excited as I always used to miss it when I volunteered at Oxfam. Obviously my volunteering was much more important to me but it's still nice to finally go :) If you fancy it, come to York Guildhall between 12pm and 5pm. There is apparently a vintage tea party and hair salon as well as lots of fabulous clothing and homeware to look at.


Next weekend is already looking pretty busy too. I am going to stay in Yarm for Sam's birthday which is super exciting because I haven't seen her in ages; I've almost forgotten what a parmo is! We are off out for a fancy meal and I'm being the usual 'hippy friend' ordering a Thai curry when everyone else wants a pie. Pfft :)

It's always strange how life works out but while I was flicking through The Simple Life, I noticed an interesting looking festival in Darlington. So now we are going out on Sunday to take a  looky at the Festival of Thrift.
"The first national Festival of Thrift is a FREE fun celebration of everyday living with upcycling, recycling and finding the sassiness in sustainable living!"

I love how creative people are with their upcycling; I'm forever looking at them on Pinterest!  I'm excited to spend a few hours looking around what the festival has to offer. There are workshops on as well but I don't know if my pennies will stretch that far after paying the drink prices in Yarm!!!


I hope you are all having a lovely weekend 
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for getting in touch :)