30 July 2013

Travels to Barcelona

Hola! I am trying my hardest to get back into the swing of writing my regular Sunday Blog but my diary has been super full. After landing back in England on Saturday night and taking a well deserved Siesta, I am writing about my Barcelona adventures a few days late. I am also in the middle of testing some yummy recipes that I will be sharing on my regular Sunday Blog this coming weekend!

Sooooo after a whirlwind start to my new job it was already time to say goodbye for the Summer holidays and hello to Barcelona :)

Photo by RSB

Travelling on the cheap
I have always taken a humongous suitcase on holiday with me. Expertly packed by my Mum of course. We even take a cool-box full of food with us... just in case they don't know what food is abroad y'know ;) To cut down our costs we decided to travel with only hand luggage and I had my first ever stay in a hostel. I was really worried about fitting things in my tiny backpack but I found that it was actually better because you only take what you need, you don't have any heavy bags and you get to cut loads of queues! The hostel was also good for a city break as everything is on your doorstep anyway. We stayed right next to the Plaça de Catalunya which meant we could go out to eat, jump on the metro and have a wander around the shops near the square. I enjoyed my light-travelling experience but I don't think I've been fully converted from my Villa and suitcase ways just yet. 



Gaudi
Antoni Gaudi is a Catalan Architect and lots of his work is dotted around the city of Barcelona. It's really strange but unique, creative and beautiful at the same time. You will be walking along for ages looking at your average pretty apartment blocks and suddenly come accross a Gaudi masterpiece. His largest piece, the Sagrada Familia, is still being worked on today. The Gothic style church is meant to be harmonious with nature, with forest style architecture on the inside. It is a project that started in 1915 but isn't expected to be completed until 2027! It will be a good excuse to go back when it is all finished. 


Beautiful Places
Barcelona has so many hidden gems, you can find beauty in the most unpredictable places. Some of the side streets and little bars were just as pretty as the main tourist attractions. You don't have to be big on your Gaudi to enjoy the beauty of Barcelona. 


Photo by RSB



Yummy Food
I have got a serious tapas belly going on right now, which is not good when I am jetting off to Spain AGAIN in just a week. I definitely love tapas; you don't have to decide on one meal, you can eat as much as you like and there is so much choice! Patatas bravas por favor!! I was also loving the fruit pots that were sold in lots of places. It was a refreshing and healthier alternative to ice cream :) They even had fruit pot stalls on bikes, awesome idea! 



I hope you are all having a fantastic Summer so far as well! I'm sure this is only the start of many more adventures for me :)

1 comment:

  1. A lovely, long post. It was worth the couple of days wait :) Here is to many more adventures to great places together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for getting in touch :)